Benefits of SDR
The benefits of SDR are compelling.
For Radio Equipment Manufacturers and System Integrators, SDR Enables:
- A family of radio “products” to be implemented using a common platform architecture, allowing new products to be more quickly introduced into the market.
- Software to be reused across radio "products", reducing development costs dramatically.
- Over-the-air or other remote reprogramming, allowing "bug fixes" to occur while a radio is in service, thus reducing the time and costs associated with operation and maintenance.
For Radio Service Providers, SDR Enables:
- New features and capabilities to be added to existing infrastructure without requiring major new capital expenditures, allowing service providers to quasi-future proof their networks.
- The use of a common radio platform for multiple markets, significantly reducing logistical support and operating expenditures.
- Remote software downloads, through which capacity can be increased, capability upgrades can be activated and new revenue generating features can be inserted.
For End Users - from business travelers to soldiers on the battlefield, SDR technology aims to:
- Reduce costs in providing end-users with access to ubiquitous wireless communications – enabling them to communicate with whomever they need, whenever they need to and in whatever manner is appropriate.